Current:Home > reviewsCalifornia lawsuit says Ralphs broke the law by asking job-seekers about their criminal histories -MarketLink
California lawsuit says Ralphs broke the law by asking job-seekers about their criminal histories
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:09:32
LOS ANGELES (AP) — California sued the Ralphs supermarket chain on Thursday, alleging that it violated state law by asking job-seekers whether they had criminal records and illegally rejecting hundreds of applicants.
The California Civil Rights Department contends that Ralphs Grocery Co. “has ignored and continues to ignore” the Fair Chance Act “by screening out otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of criminal histories that do not have any adverse relationship with the duties of the job for which they were applying,” according to a departmental press statement.
The law, which took effect in 2018, was designed to reduce the chance of ex-convicts reoffending by giving them opportunities to earn a living.
In general, employers with five or more workers can’t ask applicants about their criminal histories before making job offers, and must follow specific procedures for rejecting them. The law says employers can’t rescind a job offer if the applicant’s conviction, which could be for a misdemeanor, wouldn’t directly affect job responsibilities.
Instead, Ralphs job-seekers were given what the suit calls a “confusing and misleading” application form that included questions seeking disclosure of their criminal histories. Most candidates who had their job offers revoked weren’t given any way to contact Ralphs to challenge the decision as the law requires, the statement said.
“The instructions provide detailed, superfluous instructions concerning how to report convictions, after telling applicants that they do not need to answer the question. Additionally, by suggesting specific convictions that should not be reported in California, the instructions necessarily suggest that other convictions should be reported,” the lawsuit contends.
Between 2018 and 2022, more than 70% of California applicants answered the question anyway, according to the suit.
Some candidates “lost their job offers based on convictions for a single misdemeanor count of excessive noise. Other applicants who had convictions from other states for simple cannabis possession were also disqualified,” the department’s statement said.
“When roughly 70 million Americans have some sort of record, policies like those employed by Ralphs aren’t just discriminatory and against California law, they don’t make sense,” the department’s director, Kevin Kish, said in the statement. “Ralphs has continued to unlawfully deny jobs to qualified candidates and that’s why we’re taking them to court.”
An email seeking comment from Ralphs’ corporate owner, The Kroger Co., wasn’t immediately returned.
Ralphs has 185 stores in California with about 25,000 employees, according to the lawsuit.
It’s the first lawsuit filed over the law, although the Civil Rights Department has reached settlements with other employers in about 70 other cases alleging violations. They include a $100,000 settlement last year on behalf of applicants who were denied jobs at a construction company.
veryGood! (265)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- We're Soaring, Flying Over Vanessa Hudgens and Ex Austin Butler's Oscars After-Party Run-In
- Snapchat is adding a feature to help young users run for political office
- In this case, politics is a (video) game
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Austin Butler Is Closing the Elvis Chapter of His Life at Oscars 2023
- Transcript: Asa Hutchinson on Face the Nation, April 16, 2023
- Every Time Jimmy Kimmel and the 2023 Oscars Addressed Will Smith's Slap
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Transcript: Rep. Mike Turner on Face the Nation, April 16, 2023
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Leaked Pentagon docs show rift between U.S. and U.N. over Ukraine
- Irish rally driver Craig Breen killed in accident during test event ahead of world championship race in Croatia
- All Of You Will Love John Legend and Chrissy Teigen’s 2023 Oscars Night Out
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Air France and Airbus acquitted of involuntary manslaughter in 2009 crash of Flight 447 from Brazil to Paris
- T. rex skeleton dubbed Trinity sold for $5.3M at Zurich auction
- Jailed Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny sick and maybe poisoned, spokesman says
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Lawmakers Push Facebook To Abandon Instagram For Kids, Citing Mental Health Concerns
Their Dad Transformed Video Games In The 1970s — And Passed On His Pioneering Spirit
Emily in Paris' Lucien Laviscount Teases Alfie's Season 4 Fate
Trump's 'stop
Everything Everywhere All at Once's Best Picture Win Celebrates Weirdness in the Oscar Universe
Facebook scraps ad targeting based on politics, race and other 'sensitive' topics
Facebook asks court to toss FTC lawsuit over its buys of Instagram and WhatsApp